|Rollsigns from Manitoba Systems
|The first incarnation of public transportation in Winnipeg was operated by North West Angle Stages on July 19, 1877. The service shut down due to low
ridership and overly muddy roads after only one day of service. About five years later, on October 20, 1882, the Winnipeg Street Railway Company
began its horse-car operations, covering Winnipeg and some surrounding communities. During their operation, the Winnipeg Electric Street Railway
began operation on July 27, 1892, operating an electric system for Winnipeg and the same surrounding communities. With this system successfully in
service, the Winnipeg Street Railway Company was sold to the WESR on May 11, 1894. The WESR continued to expand services over its operation.
On April 5, 1924, the system changed its name to the Winnipeg Electric Company. Under their operation, the system introduced bus and trolley bus
service to the city and region. On February 1, 1953, the Greater Winnipeg Transit Company began service, operated as a subsidiary of the WECo.
After a short run, on May 30, 1953, the entire interest was sold to the Greater Winnipeg Transit Commission, with the process of the takeover spanning
about 5 1/2 months. During their operation they saw the end of streetcar service. On January 1, 1961, the system was reorganized, and renamed
Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg. When Winnipeg and the area municipalities amalgamated on January 1, 1972, the area's transit system
was formally renamed the City of Winnipeg Transit System, although it was regularly and simply called Winnipeg Transit. Although during their
operation, trolley bus service was discontinued, conventional transit service continues to be provided by Winnipeg Transit to this date.