Rollsigns from Chatham, ON
Public transit in the area of what is now Chatham-Kent (the city of Chatham and region of Kent amalgamated in 1998) began with
the Chatham Street Railway Company in the later part of 1885 using horse cars. Operations ran only until 1890, as a lawsuit was
filed by the Town for improper pavement maintenance. After a reorganization and refinancing, the company resumed operations in
June of 1891 andcontinued until 1895 when the service ceased again.
Public transit didn't appear again until May of 1946 when Jack Bayne provided service under the name Chatham Bus Limited. By
February 1947, operations ceased due to labour disputes. It was immediate picked up by the Armstrong brothers of Leamington,
Ontario, and operated under the name Chatham Bus Service. Service was once again short lived, and ceased because of financial
issues. On July 15, 1948, Chatham Coach Lines began operations within the city. Owned by Ivan and Evelyn DeNure, they won a
ten year contract to provide service six days a week. Over time, the company expanded operations to include regional and intercity
routes as well as school bus operations, and by 1950, charter services to neighbouring US states. They also slowly absorbed other
church and regional services in the city and area of southwestern Ontario. In 1962, operations of the company were turned over to
Ivan and Evelyn DeNure's two sons, Reg and Ken, although Ken did not stay with it for long. Under their ownership, they continued
to absorb other service and launch new ones, including shuttle services for Expo '67, and reguar runs to both the Windsor and
London airports by 1972. Within the city, they added new GMC 30 foot New Look buses for local service. In 1977, the local transit
name was simplified to Chatham Transit, but Chatham Coach Lines still provided the service. Operations were later sold to Laidlaw
Transit in 2000, but Chatham Transit continued to provide service in the city until 2002. In 2002, CK Transit (Chatham-Kent Transit)
took over all city routes. Contracted from Aboutown Transportation Ltd., they continue to provide service within the city to this date.
This side linen side rollsign came with its original sign box.

The "Destinator" rollsign box was made by the H.K. Porter Company
(Delaware) of Philadelphia PA., serial number 58-S-33139.

The linen rollsign was also made by the H.K. Porter Company. It is
dated June 19, 1958 and has 16 exposures. (See the sign tag below
the sign image.) The last two hand painted exposures were later
additions, added after the city expanded its boundaries in 1959.
Above: two photos of this rollsign and the box it came with.

Left: A photo image of the rollign's information tag.