|Rollsigns from Kitchener, ON
This linen front rollsign is off
Kitchener and Waterloo Street
Railway, Ottawa Car Company
Birney #62 (Pictured below, in
1943) It is dated October 27,
1922. The sign was used in the
car until its retirement in
January of 1947, when it was
scrapped. It has six exposures.
This Kitchener Transit mylar, front route sign
is off 1967 GMC TDH-3501 (Serial #840)
"Old Look" #675. It has 56 exposures and its
sign tag is shown below. Its print date is
February 23, 1973. This sign was originally
printed for the pending discontinuation of
electric trolley buses on March 26, 1973, but
had been updated since that original print
date. Route 7 on this sign was the former
trolley coach route. A photo of the bus this
sign was off of is featured at left, middle.
This mylar front route sign is off 1976 GMC
T6H-5307N #766. It has no print date. It has 74
exposures. As seen from the previous sign, alot
of exposures have been removed and others
added, with no regard for font style. Yet original
ones still exist, such as "4 Downtown Terminal",
and route 6's, 9's and 11's exposures.
This mylar front route sign is off 1968
GMC TDH-3502 #683. It has 54
exposures. It has no print date, but
through research, have found it to have
been printed sometime between 1980 &
1983. This style of sign was used as a
basis for future updates. As exposures
were added and removed, the sign
became quite a collage of changes.
This mylar front route sign is off 1976
GMC T6H-5307N #767. It has no print
date. It has 75 exposures. The only
changes from the previous sign to this
one is the removal of the "4 Guelph"
exposure, and the addition of the Route
18 exposures near the end of the sign.
This mylar side route sign is off 1976 GMC T6H-5307N
#766. It has no print date. This side sign is the match
to the previous front sign. A photo of the buses that
housed these last three signs can be seen, bottom-left.
This sign was drawn virtually perfect to scale. The
image has been enlarged 1.5 times that of the other
signs on this page, to show detail.
|Kitchener Transit GMC TDH-3501 #675 is seen at Aba Auto,
a small scrap yard on Morton Line at Highway 7A, southwest
of Peterborough, Ontario, June 29, 1999. The sign featured
immediately right was the sign removed from this bus.
|Kitchener Transit GMC New Looks #766, 767, and 752, all
stored for parts at the back of the Barrie (Ontario) Transit /
PMCL garage, September 25, 1995. Bus # 766 (left) was the
host vehicle for the fourth and sixth signs on this page, while
bus #767 (middle) was the original vehicle for the fifth sign.
|to go to the Kitchener Transit
electronic sign list page.
This mylar front route sign is off 1985 built GMC TC40-102N "Classic" #8506.
Its print date is August 1, 1985 (light red expsoures) but has had several update
expsoures added and substituted. Some of the last updates before Kitchener
Transit became part of Grand River Transit are on this sign, including the
removal of 10 Brigadoon, the updated Route 16 exposures, and the school
specials near the end. The sign has 76 exposures. Its sign tag is shown below.
This rollsign was donated to RG by John McDonnell.
6999478 FRONT M-381
This mylar front route sign is off 1985 built GMC
TC40-102N "Classic" #8507. What makes this one
unique from the rest is the addition of the "SANTA'S
EXPRESS" exposure at the end. Only bus #8507 had
this. It also has both the older and newer expsoures for
Routes 1, 2 and 3. It has 89 exposures. This rollsign
was donated to RG by John McDonnell.
This mylar front route sign is off 1974
built Flyer D800A #740. It has no print
date. It has 60 exposures.
This sign features some of the earlier
update inserts that began to show on
KT rollsigns. Still, about half the
rollsign is original, like the previous
one. This rollsign was donated to RG
by John McDonnell.
This mylar front route sign is different in that
it has several older and newer route
exposures on it. I'm not sure if it was just an
oversight by the garage or if it was an
attempt to make an "all-time" rollsign. It has
76 exposures. This rollsign was donated to
RG by John McDonnell.
|Originally, Kitchener, Ontario was known as Berlin, Ontario. The town changed its name in 1919.
Transit began with the Berlin and Waterloo Street Railway Company on June 13, 1889. The service was acquired by the
Town of Berlin on May 1, 1907. Between 1907 and 1909, the company was run by the Light Commissioner, then run by
town council, and eventually, by the public utilities commission. With the town's name change, the company changed its
name to the Kitchener and Waterloo Street Railway. In 1927, services were transferred to the Kitchener Public Utilities
Commission. During its operation, it saw the end to streetcar service, and the introduction of trolley bus service. On
March 26, 1973, when operations were taken over by the Kitchener Department of Transportation Services, and the
modern Kitchener Transit formed, trolley bus service ended. Kitchener Transit continued to operate until January 1,
2000, when in June of 1999, Waterloo Regional Council voted to merge Kitchener Transit with Cambridge Transit, to
create Grand River Transit, who operates service today.
This mylar side route sign is off Grand River Transit's
1975 GMC T6H-5307N #755, formerly Kitchener
Transit #755. It has no print date. This side sign has
the same exposures as the previous front sign, but is
not a match to it. This sign was drawn virtually perfect
to scale. The image has been enlarged 1.5 times that
of the other signs on this page, to show detail. This
rollsign was donated to RG by John McDonnell.