|Public transportation in London, Ontario began with the London Street Railway Company on May 24, 1875, although the
company was actually incorporated over a year before service began. During their operation, in the 1920's, several private
companies ran competitive service within the city limits (commonly known as "jitneys"). It took more strict insurance and
operation regulations to finally shut down the competition. The LSR Co. then continued exclusive operations past 1940,
when streetcar operation was discontinued, until December 31, 1950, at which time the municipality took over, and the
London Transportation Commission was created. For a time contracted to Charterways Transportation Ltd., then operated
by the city, the system ran until 1974, when the system's name was changed once again to the London Transit
Commission. Generally referred to simply as "London Transit", the system provides service to the city to this date.
|Rollsigns from London, ON
|London Transit GMC TC40-102N "Classic" #195, still showing the
same front rollsign seen above, is stored for scrap at a refurbishing
yard near Windsor, Ontario, September 16, 2009.
|London Transit GMC TC40-102N "Classic" #291, the bus that housed
the side rollsign seen above, is stored for scrap at a refurbishing yard
near Windsor, Ontario, September 16, 2009.
changes that identified
these signs as being
from September 4, 1994
include the introduction
of route 24 Base Line
and route 35 Argyle, and
the split and routing
change of 13 / 13A
Wellington Road, at this
route's south end.
|to go to the London Transit
electronic sign list page.
|London Transit 1998 built OBI 02.501 Orion II #11, the bus that
housed the front rollsign set seen above, is stored retired at a
refurbishing yard near Windsor, Ontario, June 30, 2010.