Rollsigns from Mississauga, ON
P A G E   1   o f   2
Transit in Mississauga was originally operated by the Toronto and York Railway. Service began in 1905, operating interurban railway
cars between Port Credit and Toronto. During this run, a number of bus companies offered supplemental services in the area: From
1922 to 1927, the competing bus lines of the Lake Shore Motor Bus Company and White Star Transit Company operated service to the
Toronto and York Railway Mimico division, and Red Bus Lines operated parallel service between Toronto and Port Credit until 1928,
when Gray Coach Lines took over the service. In 1935, the Toronto Transportation Commission operated bus service between the
Long Branch terminal in southwest Etobicoke to a bus loop just west of Hurontario St on the southeast corner of Lake Shore Rd. and
Pine St. South (a small car dealership occupies the land where the loop once existed). in Port Credit. In 1955, Arrow Bus Lines
operated three buses over one route in Port Credit and Cooksville, until the fall of 1968 when Charterways Transportation Ltd. took
over the service, while Georgetown Transportation Company was contracted to operate one route in the Malton area.  Mississauga
Transit as it is known today began on September 2 1969, first operated by Charterways, then taken over by the City of Mississauga,
when the city was incorporated in 1974.

Mississauga Transit didn't pay much regard to their bus's side destination signs, as shown by the rather large variety of dates listed.
All of these signs were acquired from a Hamilton, Ontario scrap yard over a very short period of time.
This mylar side route sign is off 1974
GMC T6H-5307N #2045. Its print date
is May 29, 1974, just days after the City
of Mississauga and Mississauga
Transit were incorporated. It has 18
exposures. Its sign tag is shown below.
This mylar side destination  
sign is off 1976 Flyer D800A
#2074. It is dated March 16,
1975, and it has 16 exposures.
Its sign tag is shown below.
This mylar side route sign is off 1976 GMC
T6H-5307N #2066. Its dated January 28,
1976, making it likely this was the one and
only side sign to occupy this vehicle. It has
25 exposures. This series introduced the  
orange route numbers on the front and
side rollsigns. Its sign tag is shown below.
This mylar side route /
destination sign (for some
reason) was installed on 1974
TTC Flyer D800A #8000, after it
was retired and sold to a movie
vehicle company. Its print date
is August 26, 1975, and it has
25 exposures.
Its sign tag is shown below.
This mylar side rollsign is off 1977 GMC T6H-5307N
#2104. Its print date is April 18, 1977, making it likely
this was the one and only side sign to occupy this
vehicle. It has 25 exposures. At this time, MT's front
signs had a similar layout to this side sign.
The scaling is slightly larger then the signs to the left
to better show detail. Its sign tag is shown below.
This rare "Charterways of
Mississauga" mylar side
destination sign is off 1973
GMC T6H-5307N #2032. Its
print date is August 15, 1973,
about 10 months before the
City of Mississauga, and
Mississauga Transit were  
incorporated. It has 19
exposures. Its sign tag is
shown below.
DIESEL DIVISION MISSISSAUGA
P.O.J-14981-C
NO.6960868
1-28-76 TRANSIGN
DIESEL DIV. MISSISSAUGA
P.O.J-54207-C
NO.6960868
4/18/77 TRANSIGN
SIDES
to go to the earliest
Mississauga Transit
electronic sign list page.
DIESEL DIV.CHARTERWAYS
P.O.E-56463-C
6954669  SGL.SIDE
TRANSIGN 8/15/73
DIESEL DIVISION MISSISSAUGA
E-67848-C NO.6957772
TRANSIGN  5/29/74
FLYER IND. MISSISSAUGA
P.O. 2-24169-2
2464954
3/16/75 TRANSIGN
CITY OF MISSISSAUGA
2464954
P.O.P-18992  8/26/75
TRANSIGN SGL.SIDE