Public transportation in Oshawa began with the incorporation of the Oshawa Railway and Navigation Company on June 23, 1887.
The system shortened its name to the Oshawa Railway Company on August 28, 1891. On March 1, 1910, control of the company
was transferred to the Grand Trunk Railway, which later was taken over by the Canadian National Railways. During this, the
Oshawa Railway Company service came under control of the Canadian National Electric Railways. Electric railway freight service
continued for a considerable time after passenger streetcar service was replaced by buses. On June 27, 1964 the lines were
converted from electric to diesel use. The remaining original tracks, in sections still operating along the centre of Ritson
Road North, Simcoe Street South and Bruce Street were abandoned in the spring of 1998, and finally removed that November.

Early bus service began on January 28, 1940. Canadian National Transport Limited provided the service, and it
operated until December 31, 1959. On January 1, 1960 operations were taken over by the Oshawa Public Utilities
Commission. This continued until 1996, when the municipality took over the operations of the service, and later adopting
the system name "Oshawa Transit Commission". On January 1, 2006, the Oshawa Transit Commission, along with the
Ajax-Pickering Transit Authority (which was the combined services of Ajax Transit and Pickering Transit), Whitby Transit
and Clarington Transit of Bowmanville, merged to become what is now Durham Region Transit.
This mylar side route sign was from a
GMC New Look. Its print date is
December 9, 1980. It  has 25
exposures (including the blanks). "10
Bond West" has replaced "3 King West"
and "9 Mary Nonquon" reading is now
included. Its sign tag is shown below..
This mylar side route sign was designed for an
Orion bus. It is dated July 29, 1985, and has 25
exposures (including the blanks). Other than
gap placement, the only changes are the
periods removed from the route numbers, and
the order of routes 6, 4, 9 and 5 on the sign.
Its sign tag is shown below.
This partial mylar front route sign was
designed for an Orion bus. It is dated
January 18, 1991, and has 16
exposures.
Its sign tag is shown below.
Discovered in the "murky depths" of the Oshawa Transit garage, these two pre-route
number Oshawa Transit mylar front signs were recovered by OTC operator Richard
Oldfield. The sign on the left has a print date of May 26, 1964 and has 14 exposures,
while the one on the right is dated August 9, 1966 and has 15 exposures. The only
changes from the older one to the newer one is the addition of the "Oshawa Blvd."
exposure, and adding a period after the "RD" in the Stevenson & Rossland Rd"
exposure. Their respective sign tags are shown below.
G.M.DIESEL,LTD.
6935771
P.O. B-9284-C
     5/26/64
G.M. DIESEL, LTD.
P.O. E-14714-C
8/9/66
PRODUCT OF TRANSIGN
PONTIAC MICHIGAN
This front mylar rollsign, similar to
the previous ones, is dated July 29,
1968, and has 17 exposures. As with
the previous two, it is only slightly
updated, with the additions of "Civic
Auditorium" and "Thornton Road". Its
sign tags are shown below.
G.M.DIESEL,LTD.
6942653     OSHAWA
P.O.E-58832-C
7/29/68
PRODUCT OF TRANSIGN
PONTIAC MICHIGAN
This mylar side route sign is
off 1973 GMC T6H-5307N
#95. It has no print date. It  
has 24 exposures (including
the blanks). The "10 Bond
West" and "9 Mary" readings
were painted on later.
DIESEL DIV. OSHAWA
P.O.J-5545-CQ
NO.6956021
SGL.SIDE
12/9/80 TRANSIGN
This mylar side route sign was from an MCI
Classic bus. It is dated November 29, 1985, and
has 25 exposures. Unlike most "modern"
Oshawa rollsigns, this one uses all capital letters
for the exposures. The white gaps are absent, but
the order of the exposures remained the same.
Its sign tag is shown below.
LES AUTOBUS MCI-OSHAWA
P.O. D04758Q
10561454 SIDE M507
11/4/89 TRANSIGN
ONTARIO BUS-OSHAWA
P.O.48174
D5582-MA SGL.SIDE CURTAIN
7/29/85 TRANSIGN
BUS INDUSTRIES-OSHAWA
P.O.NO.123310
D3170-MA SGL.FRONT
1/18/91 TRANSIGN
Rollsigns from Oshawa, ON
P A G E   1   o f   2     (The Black & White Era)
Site content and graphics Copyright 2004 - 2015 Joseph Chemerys.  System logos are property of their respective systems.  Photographs are
the sole property of their photographers.  Permission must be obtained before any use or reproduction of any images or text displayed herein.