Rollsigns from Peterborough, ON
The Peterborough And Ashburnham Street Railway Company first operated transit service in August of 1893.
The franchise was later awarded to Canadian General Electric, the competing bidder for service, who in turn,
acquired the P&ASRC. In 1901, the City of Peterborough revoked CGE's franchise. The Peterborough Radial
Railway was then introduced in 1902. First privately owned, the city acquired the service on March 1, 1916 and
ran it until March 31, 1927 (operations were transferred to the Hydro Electric Commission of Ontario in 1926).
For a short time in 1927, a company called Cooney and Jopling operated temporary bus service, until the
contract was finally awarded to Border Transit Ltd. that same year. Border Transit continued to provide service
unti
l 1978, when the service was taken over by the City of Peterborough, and the Peterborough Transit that
runs today was placed under the control of the city's transportation division.
This mylar side route sign is dated
March 20, 1975. It has 20 exposures.
Interesting note: The "School Bus"
exposure cannot be backlit, as the black
that is used for the text fully extends the
width of the sign underneath the yellow
colouring. Its sign tag is shown below.
This mylar side route sign was
recovered from the Peterborough
Municipal Storage yard (with
permission) from 1973 built GMC
T6H-4523N #70 (photographed,
below). The sign is dated December
22, 1977 and has 19 exposures. The
"Portage" exposure was a later
addition to the original rollsign.
It's sign tag is shown below.
This mylar front route sign is dated October
12, 1983. It has 27 exposures. All the
readings from "Portage" to the end of the
sign are later additions to the original
rollsign.
Its sign tag is shown below.
DIESEL DIV.PETERBOROUGH
P.O.J-54985-C
6955242 SIDE
12/22/77 TRANSIGN
This mylar front route sign was recovered
from the Peterborough Municipal Storage
yard (with permission) from 1977 built
GMC T6H-4523N #82 (At the time, bus
#82 was the only bus retired after
receiving their new colour scheme). The
sign is dated February 6, 2003 and has
22 exposures.It's sign tag is shown below.
CITY OF PETERBOROUGH
PO 16515
D7000MA
2-6-03 TRANSIGN
Peterborough Transit GMC New Look #70 is seen exiting the downtown
Peterborough bus terminal onto eastbound Simcoe Street, June 29, 1999.
This bus housed the second side sign, seen above, right.
DIESEL DIV. CITY OF PETERBOROUGH

NO. 6955242
P.O.E.- 3635-C
3/20/75 TRANSIGN
CITY OF PETERBOROUGH
PO 10635
10/12/83 TRANSIGN