Rollsigns from St. Thomas, ON
Transit service began with the incorporation of the St. Thomas Street Railway Company on March 7, 1878. The city
of St. Thomas obtained the service in November of 1902, renaming it the St. Thomas Municipal Railway. The
service was discontinued on February 12, 1926. Shortly after, Richards Coach Lines began operating
non-contracted privately run service in the city. By the end of 1932, however, this and other private, non-contracted
services had all fallen out of business. Transit service didn't reappear until April of 1950, when Bluebird Coach
Lines began their operations in the city. Later, in 1953, St. Thomas Coach Lines took over service. Charterways
Transportation Ltd. acquired the company in 1960, and continued city transit operations until 1983, when Lewis Bus
Lines took over the contract. Charterways was reissued the contract in 1994 and continues to provide service today.
This mylar front route rollsign is off 1963 GMC TDH-4519 #6300. (Statistical
note: At the time of its retirement, this bus was the oldest bus to be operating in
regular service in Canada.) The sign was manufactured by Multilite, and its print
date is March, 1990. It has 9 exposures.

Instead of route numbers, St. Thomas Transit used these coloured symbols.

The image of this sign has been drawn virtually perfect to scale.
Its sign tag is shown below:


ST. THOMAS TRANSIT
90056 (FRONT)
MARCH 1990
MULTILITE, TORONTO
MADE IN CANADA
St. Thomas Transit GMC TDH-4519 #6300 as it was found,
at Baker Auto Wreckers in London, Ontario, in March of 2001.